In any case, Bill and I both did very well on our midterm exams. I got a B+ and two As (my painting class doesn't have a midterm), and Bill did even better with three As (and hasn't gotten one back yet)! Last night we got back into the routine of things while Bill worked on his paper and we made dinner together. We tried a brand new dish (for us) of risotto which came out really creamy and cheesy and delicious. We gobbled it up before we could take a picture of it, sorry all :) Tonight I think I'll make more salame dolce (cookie salami... don't worry there's no meat, only cookies and sugar and chocolate... mmmmmm.... I can taste it already) to keep Bill awake to finish his paper.
Well, anyway, here are the pictures! More updates on Paris to come soon.
Bill on the street in front of our Apartment. The stairs in the background lead up to Sacre Coeur from the right side.
Me attempting to figure out where to go in our walking excursion to the 1st arrondissement. Little did we know...
Bill standing in front of a church that we found, dedicated to St. Vincent De Paul! We thought we'd take a photo in honor of East Haven's own St. Vincent.
Jess in front of Les Halles, a big glass hole in the ground shopping center.
It was pretty windy in Paris, especially when you got near the Seine River. Bill and I are on Ponte Neuf, where all the artists are supposed to be but it seemed to be a little too cold that day.
From the other side of the river you could see Sacre Coeur waaaaay in the distance. Bill's pointing at it... that's how far we walked. Oops!
Me in front of the Musee D'Orsay! We were very excited to be there until we found out it was closed on Mondays and went to the Louvre instead.
Bill took this really pretty shot that also shows how incredibly long the Louvre is. It's a city within a city.
You can also see how HUGE the Louvre is in this photo, we still have a couple hundred meters to go before we get to the entrance at this point. See how tiny the people are in the distance? This was taken by the decidedly not-French mother-and-son couple I talked about before.
Well we saw this lady here and were totally surprised. We had no idea the Venus di Milo was in the Louvre! It's a good thing Bill pointed her out because I didn't see her at all. She's got her own hallway and everything.

This is me doing a bad impression of Da Vinci's "St. John the Baptist" (see picture #2), who is also in the Louvre just outside the room for the Mona Lisa. As you can see, she's pretty well protected, and we had a pretty clear shot to see her up close and personal :)
Bill right outside the Louvre as the sun is starting to set :)
6 comments:
Hi Jess and bill,
What wonderful pictures. so great to see some of what you saw. the Louvre is huge!!! You always see the pyramid and figure its maybe the size of the met in NYC or something but wow...
Congratulations to both of you on your midterms. Hurrah for both of you!! You two have found traveling and living in Europe to be productive and fun. Good for you both.
Sounds like you are back to eating Italian style which sounds much healthier than french fries and ketchup. YOu have inspired me to cook a little more healthiy as well. Last night Ellie and I had baked scallops in white wine and lemon with some basic seasoning topeed with bread crumbs and butter, spinach and roasted potatoes with rosemary...hmmm. where did I get that idea? Plus we had a heavy bread with garlic that I picked up at the bakery. We dipped it in olive oil. Tonight we had baked ziti with the same bread. Tomorrow we have center cut pork chops...the change in times has given me a little more energy when I get home so I don't mind spending a little more time in the kitchen.
Dad is coming home for good at the end of March...yeah! He will be between gigs for a while so there is a list of to do's. He is so excited about it (read between the lines there).
Enough on that. That does look like a really long walk from the Sacre Coeur! What is Les Halles? I think you make a great St John de Baptiste. Yoiu didn't tell me you got to see the Venus de Milo...holy cow...that is something I have always wanted to see like the David.
Thanks for all the pictures and the updates. I know that you are both busy trying to catch up and we at home appreciate the time it takes you to do this. We also understand that it i time consuming so don't worry to much about it. We know that it will come in time. Know that I love you both and appreciate you.
Much love,
Mom
Oops I just reread and saw that Bill was bill...sorry Bill.
Love,
Mom
I also reread and saw a dozen or ore typos...not so great for an educator. Oh well, its late and I just got back from Parent Teacher Conferences around 9:30 after going in at 6:30 this morning, so I am using that as an excuse. Any excuse will do...the sun is in my eyes....
Love,
Mom
God one more time...more not ore...
Hi Mom!
I'm glad that you've become inspired by our food stories :) We'll have many more recipes for you to try when we get home. Last night Bill and I made risotto again and it was delicious! We made way too much though so we gave big bowls to Bill's roommates, who loved it, and still had leftovers. :) I can't wait to get home and have all of Big Y's lovely shopping specials... which we don't really get much of around here.
I'm not totally sure what Les Halles is, but it looked like a shopping center that was a big hole in the ground, several stories down, with those glass lumps that looked like waterfalls going down in stories. I know it's famous though so we took a picture anyway :)
Love you and miss you! Ciao for now :)
Welcome back to both of you! This is out if sequence as I was so anxious to see pictures that I read that posting first. Congratulations to both of you on midterms. Sooo proud of you and not at all suprised. Thanks for the fabulous pictures and great commentary, as usual.Looking forward to more when you get a chance. By the way, I have yet to become inspired to cook like Mom Muirhead! I just hung a new sign in our kitchen that says" my favorite recipes are defrost,microwave, and takeout!" So Bill and Jess, I'll wait anxiously for you to come home and cook, cook,and cook. I'll even stock the spice rack(and buy some flour)! Love Mom
Post a Comment