Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jess 3-26-08

Today is my favorite day of the year. It’s Lets Go Buy Jess a New Outfit for Her Birthday Day. J Bill and I had fun shopping around the cheaper, non-brand name stores on Via Corso behind Piazza della Rupubblica and the main shopping areas. I have a brand new outfit and boy does it look nice! We splurged a little on a really pretty skirt with brown, orange ocre, beige, and turquoise patterns. It’s really beautiful, and we got a beige jacket and beige shoes (with turquoise lining!) to match. I’m going to be the Belle of the Ball tomorrow when I go to school. Because, of course, I just can’t wait to wear it all together, all dolled up. Mostly I’ve been wearing clothes smothered in paint as of late, so it feels nice to have something new and pretty to feel like a princess in. We bought a handmade beaded hair clip too, in a small cheap “head shop” (store for hippies – always smells of incense and handmade trinkets) near where we bought the skirt. I think what I like most about it is that I haven’t heard of any of the brand names where we bought the items, so I feel like I’ve bought something that will be expressly European (although admittedly the color scheme of my outfit is more Native American than Italian). The only other dress I liked that was reasonably priced since coming here was a red sundress in the Tommy Hilfiger store. I’m glad I found a few things I wouldn’t be able to find at home.

The best part is (and the reason that it attracted me) was that the skirt matches my silver, turquoise, and red stone Native-made earrings that Mom and Dad bought for me from Jackson Hole for my birthday last year. I’ll divulge that I do take a bit of pleasure from having a totally complete outfit – even if I don’t do it very often. Maybe I’ll stop by the San Lorenzo open markets and bargain for a matching turquoise scarf…..

Bill was very nice and let me walk into any old store I wanted, searching for shoes or clothes or anything at all. We did stop in a cheap clothes store called Melrose’s and bought a pair of jeans each for 10 Euro. We’ve done so much walking and inadvertent exercise that both of our butts are disappearing in the sag of our pants, and cinching clothes to yourself via belt is terribly uncomfortable.

Well, time to go again because we have dinner with our Italian class (e gratis!) in a few minutes. Ciao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! It sounds like Bill really treated you like a princess. :-)

I'll look forward to seeing a picture of my pretty babygirl all dressed up in her new outfit. How nice that it matches with your Indian jewelry. Good for you Sweetheart. It's nice to go out and get something special sometimes. And what a special guy you have to spoil you so!

Have fun at your dinner tonight. I know how much you've both enjoyed your cooking class both for the knowledge you gained and the friends you've made.

Enjoy the rest of your day and have a happy tomorrow. Can't wait to have you back home - both of you!

Love you both.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill and Jess,

What a wonderful day you guys had together. That's what every shopping day should be like. you guys do it well together...you with Bill's shopping and leather shoes and you with your new outfit. I can't wait to see it in pictures but in person will be all the better.

I miss you very much lately and wish you were home with me. although, I am so happy that you guys have this opportunity and it will be over before you know it. May 3rd will be here and you will be wishing that you were walking the streets of Frienze or Paris instead of Maanchester, East Haven or Storrs.

Anyway, know that we all miss you and can't wait to see you. I hope the weather is good there. It has been nice yesterday and today (50ish and sunny) but tomorrow we are expecting snow and sleet (3-6 inches-yuk)

I love you guys. Continue having fun, learning and enjoying one another's company. Ciao! and write again soon.

Tons of love,

Mom