Sorry for the lack of updates on France, we'll get to it when we have a chance. Just a bit about the weekend. There isn't much to talk about since all of our plans were basically ruined by rain, and we accidentally slept through the alarms to see the fireworks on Sunday morning. We were both very disappointed, and figured we'd make it up by going to Fiesole or Venice in the morning... but there were thunderstorms, hail, and snow. So that fell through too. Of course, today was totally gorgeous -- sunny, warm, clear blue skies... just in time to go back to school.
I worked a bit on my painting since I last posted, and it's coming along -- but slowly. It isn't doing quite what I wanted it to do, and it looks so drastically different from the rest of the class's projects that I feel very self-conscious about it. My teacher didn't seem to know what to make of it. She didn't really say anything bad -- she didn't really say anything at all. No advice, no encouragement. It's like she's on the edge of deciding whether or not she likes it or it's some sort of color theory abomination. I don't quite know myself. But, since it's due Thursday I'll have to figure it out soon or end up with a bad grade. I mean, everyone else had little sectioned off areas (like squares or circles) for the different color theory types (analogous,monochrome, complimentary), while I sort of incorporated them as part of the painting.
It doesn't look quite like this because we worked on it more today during class -- but here's what it looked like this morning. Kind of trippy, but I'm working on it... WIP...
Well, that's it for now. Much love!
2 comments:
Hi Baby,
Don't worry about your grade or the others in your class. Remember why you are really there...to learn. If this was the best way for you to learn more and incorporate more than you already knew...if this was the way that was best for you to apply the concepts and you got more out of this than circles and doing the homework assignment, then you have done well.
A grade is just a grade...think of how much you have learned in this adventure of yours and the art that you have produced in such a small amount of time. I think it is beautiful and portraits are very difficult. Yet you have produced something exquisite using the parameters of what the teacher asked for. All the more difficult. If you get a lower grade because of the contrast or analagous colors, what does that really mean?
Sorry the rain took away your weekend but at least it was restful and you got to paint and I assume write as well. Just a few weeks left to enjoy the magnificance of Italy and beyond. When do you begin to travel to other places? Rome, Venice, London, Coastline?
I love you and look forward to your emailing every day.
Our house is still a mess with the floors and moving everything here and there. No place to sit, as the piano is up against the couch, etc. I will be moving everything back soon and the dining room set is arriving this Saturday. So hopefully, our home will look like our home again. Also, we are considering some different colors for the family room and wish you were here to help us decide. One is a dark basil green (it looks brown) and the other is herbal something or other (a green that is darker than the couch.) Either way, it will be a stark contrast to the ivory that is in there now. I know you always thought it was blah but we may be going a bit over the top.
Your brother's birthday is tomorrow. I think he might be coming for dinner but I haven't heard from him yet. Ellie is in the play all this week so she is off all evening each night.
Dad hurt his back quite badly last week and was bed ridden for Thursday through today. He went back to NYC today against my advice but what are you going to do? He has a slipped disk between his 4th and 5th lumbar vertebrae. I have never seen him in such pain but he is considerably better with the three meds (muscle relaxer, pain medication and anti-inflamatory) he is now on as well as the physical therapy he is undergoing. He should be back from NYC on Friday. Hopefully in one piece. He may be staying in NYC part time for another year. it seems to be the best decision given that there is no work in CT for him. He would work Monday through Wednesday in NC, be home for dinner Wds. night around 6:30and work from home on Thursday and Friday. That way he would be home with us 5 nights of the week and gone two nights of the week. He will talking to his boss about it today or so. We'll see, if they don't go for it, then it will be Boston.
Tons of love and hope you liked catching up on home.
Love,
Mommy
Hi Mom --
It's great to hear from home. The painting is making some progress and I am very grateful for your support. I would have liked to do it in the colors I wanted but she kept insisting that we use as many colors as possible and I'm just totally confused as to what she wants so I'm doing what I want instead and making the best of it.
I love all the news. I miss home a lot lately and it's good to hear about what's going on. Just like for you guys at home listening to our everyday lives here, every mundane detail is a gemstone. I'm sorry to hear about Dad's slipped disk -- is that very serious? I hope that the job works out, I'll say a prayer for his quick recovery and manageable requirements for the job that are easier for us.
I have to go to class but Bill and I finally went shopping for my birthday!!!! I am very excited about our success and I'll write a blog about it after class. Love you :-)
Jess
Post a Comment