Hi everyone! It's been a long time since our last post, and most especially since I posted. But it has been a very very exciting and jam-packed couple of weeks. We must start by apologizing, but it does not look like we'll have internet in the apartment this upcoming month. The business that we tried to get it through is really horrible. They put us off and off and said we couldn't get it until atleast this Friday. At which point we'd need to pay the whole month plus the connection fee for only three weeks (thats about E70 or over $100 USD). It's just not worth it, so we're going to frequent some internet cafes and spend more time at school. As the weather gets better, it will be easier to get ourselves out of the apartments and to an outdoor cafe where we can connect for really cheap.
Oh well, enough about that. The end of the semester is fast approaching, papers - paintings - and finals galore! Wooh! But it also means that we've finally planned some trips and vacationings. This last weekend we went to Rome, which I'll go into momentarily. The weekend after next we'll be going to Munich with several of our friends and the weekend after that we'll do the Cinque Terra with mostly the same group. These last two will be real old fashioned hostel going roughing its, lots and lots of fun. We'll probably get into what Munich will consist of as we get closer to the trip itself.
Ok, Roma! We got on the fast train early Saturday morning (at around 7:30 am), we of course got there last minute! Haha. The train ride was relatively painless and after checking in at our hotel on Via Venezia off of the main business district road of the city, Via Nazionale. This was right near Piaza Repubblica, which is a beautiful place with a huge and elaborate fountain. We got on the metro at the Piaza and headed towards the Vatican. Surprisingly, there was almost no line whatsoever! We pretty much walked right in and found out it was open 4 hours later than we thought (and cost about twice as much! hahaha). But none the less, the artwork was breathtaking. I had seen alot of it before, but having the new appreciation I've gained here and a partner with me who is excited, interested, and educated in art made it an experience in an entirely new ballpark, since last time I was with high school kids who mostly didn't care (with exceptions of course). We saw Raphael's until our eyes bulged, as well as a modern art section consisting of many amazing impressionists and surrealists (probably the most well known is their small collection of Dalis). Finally, we arrived at the Sistine Chapel - which I had missed last time due to the papal election. Un-be-lievable. Breathtaking. One of those pieces of art that make your heart flutter and your hands sweat. Being able to share it with Jess made it all the more special. We next went into St. Peter's, which is spectacularly large and gorgeous and had a second heart fluttering art experience. Michaelangelo's Pieta, which is still my favorite piece of artwork in the world, is right there. Actually, you can get alot closer than I remember, although it is still behind glass.
We finally returned back to the hotel (after getting a bit turned around and walking an extra mile or two) and passed out from exhaustion. Day two consisted of the old section of town. The Archaeological district, as grand and beautiful as ever! We had a wonderful time seeing Trajan's Column, the imperial and roman forums and the Colosseum. We didn't realize, but the week of free entrances extended to Rome as well and all of it was no charge! That was very exciting, especially to Jess who increduously asked of the woman at the ticket booth "E gratis!!?!" when she heard. I think the real highlight of my day was exploring the Palatine Hill. I had never been and it was absolutely beautiful. Besides sporting Augustus' Palace and countless ruins and Archaeological remains, it sports a natural beauty that we've really missed while living in the city. Jess and I wandered our way out into a grassy field and took a nap under the gorgeous Roman weather while people watching. It was so relaxing and comfortable. To smell the grass and watch the leaves float in the wind made me miss home so much. I do so miss the natural grandeur of the mother country, hehe.
We ended the day by eating a really tasty dinner in an oustide restaurant near the Pantheon. We, unfortunately, failed to get into the Pantheon on both days - which stinks because its one of my favorite places and I wanted to bring Jess, especially for Raphael's tomb. But we saw the outside, which contains most of the ancient beauty as the inside was transformed into a Catholic church sometime in the late middle ages/early renaissance. But we did get to see the Trevi (sp?) Fountain before getting on the train, exhausted and aching. A really wonderful weekend.
Well, this has become a real tome. We'll post some pictures from Rome soon, eh?
Ciao!!
Bill
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi, Bill! Wow, what a wonderful trip to Rome! It sounds like you guys hit it just at the right time of year between the weather and "E gratis!?!!" :-) I'm so very glad you two have had the chance to take advantage of so much of what Italy has to offer. The combination of the art, the churches, and all the incredible antiquities is almost too much to imagine, but your descriptions sure bring everything to life for us stick-in-the-muds here at home. Mom and Ellie had said how beautiful the Trevi Fountain was; I'm glad the two of you had the chance to see it, too. And the Sistine Chapel, the Pieta, all of it. Wow!!
Your upcoming trips sound great. How nice that you'll be able to spend tiem with the friends you've made enjoying everything. That will hopefully make it even more special for you. We'll all look forward to seeing your pictures when you have the chance to post them. I'll be very interested to hear about your Munich trip. Haben sie zwei bieren wenn doch werden. ("Have a couple of beers if you'd like.") :D
Well, must get back to work. Looks like I'll be wrapping up my NYC job next week and will at long last be able to return home to the family. It's been nice, but I'm really looking forward to getting back home again. Wait until you see the house. The dining room furniture is in, the floors are redone and look very nice, and we're hoping to have the family room painted soon. Then a week from Saturday the three of us are off to San Francisco and Yosemite National Park. We can't wait!
Study hard and good luck on your tests - both of you. Hope you know how proud we are of both of you. Have fun and write again soon. We miss you.
Dad M.
Hi Bill,
Thank you for writing and telling us about your trip. It sounds perfect. I must say that Ellie and I enjoyed all of what you have written about as well. I too thought the Palestine Hill was breathtaking and even more interesting for its lack of fame and people. I don't know if it was much less crowded than the forum when you were there but for us it was. There was almost no one there.
I hope you have just as great of trips for your remaining time.
Love,
Mama Muirhead
Dear Bill and Jess, Really missed hearing from you guys! Remember, you've spoiled us with all the wonders of your semester! The trip to Rome sounds great- brought back fond memories. I, too, think The Pieta is the most exquisite thing I've seen. And look at that very handsome guy at the Trevi fountain! You did throw a coin in, right? Jess, your description of the sign made me laugh almost as much as the rabbit story! Where did that arm and shoulder go? HA! Some quick news from the sports world. Yesterday the Yankees won opening day game(delayed from Sunday rain storm). It's really weird to see Joe Girardi as a manager. Mariano won the game and handed the game ball to Joe, his former catcher! Great stuff! And the UCONN women have made it to the final four, beating Rutgers! They play Stanford and Tennessee plays LSU and then--?Uconn vs. Tenn.? We'll let you know how much we beat them by. Well, enjoy every day, and your upcoming travels. May 3rd is approaching fast! Thanks for the news and great pictures. Love, Mom (P.S., Bill check your e-mail)
Post a Comment