Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Jess 4-2-08

Pictures of Rome!

Ecco:


Down in the carriage Pavillion, Bill is very excited to be in front of John Paul II's original PopeMobile, as he so lovingly calls it. Bulletproof bubble and all. It's amazing how different it looks from it's predecessors (see next picture, and imagine modern Bentley's for the other cars).


Fancy, fancy 18th c. carriage.


A courtyard inside the Vatican, near the Carriage Pavilion (i.e. historical PopeMobile collection).


Inside St. Peter's, near the massive altar.


Beautiful stained glass window as the centerpiece of the artwork behind the altar.


I love Marcello Bellini's Medici history class. Because of it, I noticed in this list of Popes in St. Peter's Sacristy that 3 Popes are missing, including 2 Medici popes, Leo X and Clement VII. I have no idea why they would leave them out and have a 36 year gap in the record; my best guess is because Leo X and Clement VII pretty much personally caused the Protestant reformation (Martin Luther in particular) via selling sacred objects and absolutions. Personally I think it would still be important to include them in the list... who knows?


Funny sign outside the Vatican depicting no-nos for getting inside. No shorts, no overalls, no short skirts, no tanktops, and no legless or shoulderless people.


The colonnades in Vatican Square.


The Pantheon! Unfortunately we had bad luck and couldn't get inside all weekend.


Big, big column!


Bill in front of the forums.


One of the few pictures we can get together from surrounding tourists and other couples. Thanks, Roman guy!


Pretty ruins of a church wall on Palatine Hill.


Rome, unlike Florence, was much greener (and purpler), and in full bloom.


Bill tells me this used to be twice the size... HUUUUGE, even bigger than it looks in the picture. I'm standing farther away from it than I look.


Remains of the temple of the Vestal Virgins.


Bill down in the Forums, after we descended from Palatine Hill.


Trevi Fountain!

Art Update: I've finished (for the most part, I want to work on it a bit more) my alla prima, which I have since found out is a very difficult way to paint. I think it didn't come out too badly though. I have to say that I love bright colors, or it could just be that I haven't gotten a handle on muted colors yet. Everything I seem to do in color comes out very bright. I'm sure I'll be able to tone myself down over time. Everyone had a hard time with the alla primas, it seems. No one seemed to think that they did very well.

Soon we'll start our next and final project, the trompe l'oiel paintings. I've decided to make my painting about painting. The collage will be my extra palette with big globs of colorful paint with loose canvas partially painted and a drawing of a postcard as well. So I'll have to paint paint, basically. It'll be interesting, I think. And meaningful to me, which is what I want.

That's it for now. Buona sera!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PICTURES!!!!!!!!

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Fantastic pictures, both of the sites you visited and the very special subjects in the foreground. You've really made my day with this post. I've already shared the pictures with everyone I work with, all of whom thought my Babygirl and her beau were very attractive people. There are a whole bunch of folks here (including me) who wish they were there.

Jess, I love the picture Bill took of you under the blossoming tree. It is now my wallpaper on my computer at work. I also liked the series at the Vatican. I'm so pleased both of you still have shoulders so you could enter the cathedral! :-)

I'm anxious to see your alla prima painting. Maybe you could post a picture of it in a future entry. Also, I like your idea for your trompe l'oiel painting.

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures, guys. Love the traveloge, but it makes me miss you even more. Can't wait to have you both back home again soon.

Love you, love you, love you!

Dad M.

Anonymous said...

Hi Babygirl,

Thank yo so much for the post with the pictures. You are both wonderful for all your writing and your picture sharing. Your trip to Rome sounds great. Ellie and I missed the pope travel area. That stained galss window is fantastic. We didn't see that either as they closed that part of ST. Peter's three seconds before we got in. We were the first two people inline to be denied access. The people 30 feet in front of us (there wasn't a line) we watched walk in and then we walked up and they said sorry the chapel is closed but you can go to the crypts, which we greatly enjoyed.

I thought Trevi fountain was much larger than it appears in pictures and we sat having gelati's and watching the people and the fountain. it was very peaceful even though we were surrounded by hundreds of people.

I can't wait to see future pictures of all your travels. I also am looking forward to your art pictures.

Ellie and I also saw that sign and thought the same thing. We also took a picture of it and thought it is sad that the catholic church of all people discourages the handicapped from entering St. Peter's Square and St. Peter's Basilica. Go figure...

Much love from home.

Mom

Anonymous said...

i have to reiterate what dad (heh) said...thanks for the pics! my fave is the one of you two. oh you beautiful kids :) and i also like jess's expression while pointing at the sign of people not allowed inside (shoulderless people, legless people, swimmers, farmers, anyone without a face...)

have fun on all your traveling adventures, you guys really are doing europe! that's awesome!

sigh. ok, i'm procrastinating on my history paper. wahhh.

did i mention I LOVE YOUUUUU???

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,

I sent off your tax return today. Do you want to wait for it? Or do you want me to front you the money and you will have it in your account pretty quickly.

Also, you received a credit card bill. I haven't opened it but did it need to be paid or should I just leave it in your room for your return.

Finally, a letter came that said that your account had gotten the refund from France. Hopefully that is true.

Dad and I are taking Ellie to BU tomorrow for the accepted students open house. It is probably where she is going next year.

Dad is painting the family room a very dark mustard color. It is warm and we'll see if we like it. Hope so. If not, I think it will be this way for awhile anyway. Hard to tell right now because he is painting and it is 9:30 at night, so the room is dark anyway.

Hope all is well with the both of you.

Love,

Mom