Hey, very short post probably for now. I might come back and write a little bit more later.
Went to Roman Empire this morning and learned about the Punic and Macedonian wars. I did not realize, until this morning, that the Carthaginians and the Phoenecians are the same people. That's wild. Punic, which derives from Punici, was the Latin word for Phoenecian. Really good stuff. But yeah, learned about how Rome simultaneously kicked Carthaginians(massive empire who controlled N. Africa, Spain, Sicily and the other islands on the West coast of Italy) and the Macedonians (aka, the Greeks - who controlled all of Greece and Asia Minor as far as Alexander's conquerings, that would be up to but not including the Indus river in India). We didn't go into too much detail on the Greek wars (that part next time), but we did cover in detail the war against Hannibal, which is always an interesting subject.
Tonight I have Italian from 5:30-6:30 and then we go straight to our cooking class. We picked up our money from the bank the other day (carrying 280 euro in a roll of twenties around is rather uncomfortable). I will use 140 of this to pay the remainder of the 205 total that I owe using that money. That leaves Jess and I with ~100 euro each for food for the rest of the month, which is pretty generous honestly. Cooking for ourselves (and more importantly, together) is really cost effective. So that food money should cover us very well in future months when we don't have to cover book, site visit, lab fees and the cooking class.
But, definitely excited about cooking class tonight. And Jess will get to enjoy it so much more seeing as she will bea able to stand the whole time. She's finally starting to feel better which is great. On a similar good note, the weather today is gorrrrgeous! Blue blue skies and much nicer temperature and little to threat of rain. Very nice to see the weather we were so solidly promised.
Well, that's all for me for now. I'm starving, off to lunch!
Ciao!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow Bill. You are both so fascinating to read. You guys have more knowledge in your little pinkies than I will ever have about history. Glad to hear that the weather is breaking for you. I can't wait to see it myself if I get there.
Love,
Mama Muirhead (Italian style)
Bill, I'm going to blog tonight instead of e-mailing. You certainly sound intelligent,as always. I can tell you're really into this stuff!. And Jess, with her art! We are soooo impressed with both of you. Enjoy your cooking class tonoght.Love Mom and Dad
Post a Comment