Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Jess 1-29-08

Hello everyone!



It's been a busy day but very fulfilling. I worked a bit more on my painting, and I think it's starting to shape up. One of the problems with painting something from life that has just one light source reflecting off of it is that there is nothing to illuminate your canvas -- so when the lights go on at the end of a 3-hour session it's always a little bit of a surprise. I get a lot of compliments but I wish people would criticize a little more -- my teacher remarks that it looks like I have a good handle on things, but I feel like I'm totally in the dark. No reall, I have no idea what I'm doing. Nonetheless I'm slowly improving, although only half of my canvas is actually covered with paint. Every time I look at the glass I'm painting there is a new speck of light that wasn't there before, a new shadow in the background I didn't see. It's infuriating sometimes. I think they do it on purpose.

The bacon, lemon, and cream sauce we made last night was really delicious. Much less "lemony" than last time. Bill's roommates certainly enjoyed sopping up the rest of it out of the saucepan. But by far I think the most spectacular thing was the tiramisu. We beat those egg whites until our arms fell off but it was so worth it. If we had an egg beater it really wouldn't be that hard to make, but as it stands we got good excercise for it. Which is good, considering that last night's dinner consisted of beef, cream, bread, and tiramisu. Unfortunately I don't think we have the correct type of cookies at home required to make tiramisu the way we make it here, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. Nonetheless... worth the effort.

Well, that's sort of it for now. More interesting posts with pictures soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Babygirl! Sorry I haven't written. Been working lots and lots of hours and go back to the apt to flop into bed and start all over again the next morning. I've been so happy to read about you and Bill's adventures. What a wonderful trip to Chianti! Thank you so much for the pictures. It is WONDERFUL to see you and your friends "in action", although it made me miss you even more. :-( I took the beautiful picture of you in Chianti and turned it into my wallpaper at work. Everyone comments about how pretty you are and how beautiful the scenery is.

I can't wait to see pics of your painting. How exciting! And you need to be less expressive with your descriptions of dinner. Yikes! My mouth starts watering every time I read about your latest meal. :-)

Thanks again for the posts and the pictures. Study hard and have fun! I love you -- SO MUCH!!

Daddy

Anonymous said...

P.S. -- Jess, I talked to Grandpa and Grandma Sunday night. They were in New Orleans for the Olympia parade for Mardi Gras and to visit old friends and neighbors. Grandpa told me how much he and Grandma enjoy your and Bill's posts and pictures. They are really happy that you have the opportunity to experience such an amazing trip. (Us, too.)

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that most of the people who are painting have never done anything artsy...ever. So for now she is grading pretty lightly. But I am sure as the class goes on she will start to get more into the theory and get a little more picky about stuff.

Sorry I haven't been writing. I have been reading them every couple of days though so keep up the blogging.