Thursday, January 31, 2008

Jess 1-31-08 (2)

Good News!

Bill's roommates left for Paris for the weekend so we can use the internet that can only be reached in their room. This means more posts for the weekend than expected! Usually we have to use internet cafes for the weekend internet and the synopses are short.

I have decided that since the internet is rather iffy sometimes, and I don't feel entirely comfortable putting our teacher's family recipes up for someone in Russia or Guatemala to find or something. But if anyone would like a recipe please contact me via email at jessica.c.muirhead@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you and share our cooking knowledge from Jeanne Finocchario, a great Italian cook. Whoever you may be, please feel free to email me! I will be most happy to share with all of our extended families back home.

Something funny about Italian cooking is that although our teacher says that many if not all of her recipes are very traditional, recipes from family to family vary so much that it is hard to tell what is traditional and what is not. I suppose if it uses all fresh ingredients that is a good sign. And usually the simpler the better, although apparently really old fashioned recipes have at least 10 ingredients, following the Roman revival fashion. Everything we have learned, save the pate, was about 4 ingredients or less.

In a way I think she is just trying to teach us the basics so that we can grow and start adding our own style to the recipe from there, if we so choose. Or not, I guess it depends on how adventurous you are. Bill and I certainly have not strayed far from her parameters.

The other funny thing that I am not used to about Italian cooking is something called quanto basta. Quanto basta basically means "as much as necessary." Most of the recipes we've learned about don't have real measurements so much as they have suggestions of measurements. This was strange to me since at home when I cook it's usually from a cookbook and cookbooks have all the amounts down to 1/8ths of teaspoons sometimes it seems. With what we've learned, its more like "a little of this, a little of that..." voila, delicious food. I don't get it, it seems like I wouldn't have been able to get away with that at home.

Well, anyway, that's it for now. Much love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jess, I think it would be wonderful for you to live overseas for a part of your life. I would be envious of course, as it was always something I wanted to do but never did. But you could definitely count on my visiting. What a great idea. Seeds planted sometimes come to fruition, so hold that in your mind and when the time is right, seize the opportunity!

I love you!

Mom