Ciao! Happy February.
Eventful day today, in it's own way. Bill went on a day trip to Chianti so I was on my own for much of the day. I made it down to the Mercato Centrale to buy dinner, since I wanted to make a nice big meal for Bill. I have to say it's not fun being by myself in Italy. While mostly I have been left alone because I'm always with Bill, now that I was alone and somehow carried a "foreigner" vibe, I was complimented creepily from everything between my hair and pants. It was not encouraging to be outside.
Anyway, it's easy to find -- once you get to San Lorenzo there's a street lined with street vendors, and you follow a leather-and-souvenier trail all the way to the entrance of the Mercato Centrale. I almost missed it, since I was expecting some sort of outdoor market, but it's really inside this giant decorative warehouse. I quickly discovered that very few people speak English in there. This was especially a problem when I went to the butcher to get rabbit and pork. The pork was no problem, but the rabbit was an ordeal. First of all, they are disturbingly displayed whole, skinless, earless, footless, with head and eyes still attached. Why they left the head I have no idea. Eventually after much confusion and no English I watched the butcher whack the whole thing in half with the biggest knife I've ever seen, then into pieces. I tried not to let it bother me.
Anyway, after getting some fruits and vegetables, I went back and made focaccia, marinated peppers, and started to make the rabbit before Bill got home. I had thought that I had asked not to have the head, so I assumed I was safe until I started washing off the meat (sometimes there is still some little hairs stuck to it). I was turning one piece over to pat it dry and was confronted with exactly 1/2 of a rabbit head, eyeball and everything. I dropped it immediately, shrieking in surprised horror and had to take a few minutes to shake off the oogie-boogies. I had full body shivers 3 or 4 times before I went back to the sink. I squinted to keep from looking at at the head directly, scooped it up with a fork, and chucked it in the trash. After dropping the rest of the pieces in the pot, I thought I saw another thing that look like a head, so I chucked that too. Then it all started to look like heads, so I just cooked it and made sure I ate a leg.
So... that was my eventful day. Found another website with much better deals on Paris accomodations! So we're looking into that. It seems like the 18é arrondissement (Montmartre) is a good place to stay. Well, anyway, I'm exhausted. :) Night all!
P.S. I hate to admit that through looking at pictures of apartments in Paris all day, I'm thinking more and more about living there for a little while, just a year or two. The other websites we have viewed are almost half the price. Very exciting!
Friday, February 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh NOZ! Babygirl, I know that must have been a traumatic experience for you, but that story was the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. You have such a great way with words. I was laughing and saying, "Oh, NO! Oh, No!!" the whole time. It reminded me of a scene out of an old Woody allen comedy or something. Poor Baby! I got the oogie-boogies just reading the post, let alone actually having it happen to me. You are just the bestest, funniest Punkin EVER! Oddest of all, the dinner you made actually sounds like it was wonderful. I hope Bill appreciated all you went through to make him such a special meal. :-D (I'm sure that he did...)
You certainly had an eventful day! The trip to the Mercato was quite the experience - unfortunate that it was, well, a little marred by the baser elements in town. It makes me feel even better that you and Bill are there to enjoy it together.
Thanks for the pictures of your painting. It's coming out very nicely, Jess! It'll be fun to watch your progress over time. You have a good eye and some real talent!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. We miss you and love you to pieces, meeces!
Your trip plans for Paris sound like they are really coming together, Punkin. That's great! Hope you have a good time.
I love you Babygirl!
I admire your "gutsyness" I think the eyeball would have done me in. That is if I could have gotten through the butcher not understanding me. I guess I might be starving by now if I had to be alone in Italy. Oh who am I kidding,there is a good chance I might starve if alone anywhere!
I really enjoy your blogs and am so glad mom directed me here. She had me read this one first so I'll be cathcing up shortly.
Lots of love to you Jess and love to Bill as well. Your aunt Denise.
Jess,
What a wonderful idea for you to live in Paris or overseas for awhile. I would be envious of course as it was something I always wanted to do but never did. But then I could come to visit you. Seeds planted sometimes come to fruition, so hold on to your dream and when the time is right, seize the opportunity!
I love you so much I can't possibly express it!
Your Mommies
Post a Comment