Hello everyone!
It's been a very busy past few days but fun nonetheless. Most of my time was spent struggling to get my painting done by today at noon, which I did (although I still feel it is unfinished). Once it is graded and I et it back I suspect in my leisure time I will try to finish it up to a better level. We were critiqued today which was nerve wracking but interesting at the same time since everyone's paintings were lined up against one another for comparison. It's obvious that everyone has a very different style from one another. At the moment I would probably consider my style tending towards the more realistic than the abstract but it's hard to tell since it's my second painting. But everyone in the class improved by leaps and bounds over their first paintings. Now that I've put each of my two paintings next to one another I can already tell that I've improved a lot. (Pictures up soon). So each of our paintings was commented on, one at a time. Everyone had good things to say about everyone else's paintings, and for good reason -- we have a pretty talented class.
Yesterday Mom, Ellie, and Mr. Farley climbed to the top of the Duomo. They all seemed to have a good time, although unfortunately we couldn't join them since we were in school. Mr. and Mrs. Farley visited the school to say hello but Bill was in class -- we all seemed to miss each other even though at some points it sounded like we were all in the same part of town. After our last class we all met up and marched out together to a very nice Tuscan-style restaurant down by San Lorenzo. Bill got a spicy penne dish and I had steak and potatoes which were really delicious. We were brave and got the traditional chicken liver pate which was also delicious. I think at one point in the night the the doors to the kitchen cracked open just a peek and there were some happy old chefs staring in at the ladies of our table. Or so says Mom -- she thinks they were looking at both me and Ellie, but I think it was mostly Ellie, who looked very pretty with her new haircut.
This morning Bill went with Mr. Farley to Fiesole, a nearby town just 20 minutes away by bus. He said it was beautiful out there and they had a good time together. Mostly I just painted all day, but I made more progress than I thought I would. Next we start colors, which seems really scary. Apparently we have to recreate a colorful famous piece of artwork, preferably Florentine, but with sections that are in opposite colors, monochromatic color, analogous colors, and full color. It sounds difficult but I think I surprised myself with my last painting so maybe it will come out better than I think.
Anyway, I'm starving so it's time to head to the local bar for a sandwich. Ellie and Mom went to Rome this morning, so I hope that they have a good time. When they come back we are planning on taking everyone to the Pitti Palace and the Uffizi. Hopefully we'll be able to do San Lorenzo as well, but we'll see.
Ciao for now!
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hooray, hooray, hooray! A new post!!
Hi, Baby Girl. Congratulations on finishing your second painting. I'm anxious to see pictures when you get the chance to post them. I'm sure it was nerve-wracking to have your work critiqued by others, but no doubt they all had nice things to say. The early pics sure show talent and promise. Glad you're having a nice visit with Mom, Ellie and the Farleys. I'm certain Mom was right that both you and Ellie were getting the stares at the cafe. I suppose they just wanted to make sure you all were enjoying your meals. ;-)
Speaking of Mom and Ellie, I got a quick (very quick) email from Ellie first thing this morning saying they had made their way to Rome just fine and were waiting to get into their hotel room. I'm sure they will have a wonderful time there with so much to see and do. Too bad your classes prevented you from accompaying them. I don't recall, have you been to Rome yet? Presumably you will if you haven't yet.
How are the rest of your classes going, Jess? I hope you are enjoying them just as much as your painting class.
Cooler here today, but it was in the mid-60's yesterday (although rainy). Gives hope to thoughts of real Spring. I'll be anxious for it to arrive for real. The internet says you've had good weather this week, too. I'm glad. That makes for a nicer visit when you are out and about all the time.
Okay, well, good luck with classes and enjoy your visit with Mom and Ellie. Miss you and love you. Thanks again for all the great posts. Give everyone a hug for Daddy. Can't wait to hear back from you again.
Love you lots,
Dad
Post a Comment