Thursday, February 7, 2008

Jess 1-7-08

Ciao ragazzi!

Good day today. Went out at noon for another field trip, this time to the Academia where, of course, Michelangelo's David resides. The entrance to the museum is unimpressive for how fancy it is inside. It looks like some seedy hole-in-the-wall bar, just a door with a sign on it on the side of a Università (di Firenze) building, leading into a dingy hallway. But after that it gets really beautiful, and I tell you my first experience with the "real" David was, for lack of a better word, epic.

Unlike other pieces of art like the Mona Lisa (apparently, haven't seen her myself), the David is even more grand than you imagine it might be. I mean, it's really just magnificent. I think it had an even better effect because, like many of the museums in Florence, I didn't know it was coming until you turn the corner and it practically hits you in the face. So basically I just walked aimlessly into a hallway and all of a sudden he's standing there in his giant glory. Now, I don't react much to art physically but I got the shivers all over. It was so beautiful.

It's even more impressive that, apparently, Michelangelo took a partially completely crappy statue from another artist and turned it into the David. That is to say, someone else started it, it wasn't turning out right, gave up, and Michelangelo came in to create it from someone else's failure. It was meant to go in the massive circular windows (along with other statues) in the Duomo, but it was too big to lift that high. So it went in Palazzo Vecchio where the fake David stands now, and of course currently he stands under a windowed ceiling in the Academia. Actually it was pretty cool because in the large hall leading up to the big dome where David is, there is a collection of unfinished works by Michelangelo so you can see how he went about creating it.

Anyways yeah. Wow.

So then after that I went to painting class and finished up my glass and papertowel painting. Not by choice, of course, but she was taking down the still life so we had to finish it today, or get it as close as possible to finished. I would have liked to work on it more and I feel like I really had to rush at the end... but it turned out alright for a rushed first painting. I darkened it a lot, for better contrast. I knew it was looking washed out but I was afraid of making it too dark. But I think that it was a pretty successful, if not painstaking, alteration. I don't have a picture of it now but I will soon.

Oh and I had my most interesting encounter with cat calls today. While walking towards the Academia I walked past/through a group of three or four men who proceeded to say "WOW" after I passed them and bark, (yep, bark) until I disappeared from view.

Well, time to go get some dinner. Much love! Ciao :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Jess. do you think we could go see David as well? That is so exciting. Just a week and Ellie and I will be on a plane. Yeah!!!

I love you and remember the cat calls are jut background noise. Unless they approach you, just keep walking and ignore them. Apparently, according to Thoma (math teacher in my school who sent there with her daughter in Dec.) and Aunt Denise, it is much worse in Italy.

I love you babygirl.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Jess, One of the nurses I work with recommended I read The Birth of Venus, a novel about ayoung girl's experiences in Florence and the Medicis' influence on her. Have you heard of it? I am bringing it for the plane so I'll show it to you. It seems like a book that you would like. By the way, The Mona Lisa is impossible to miss-not casually displayed at all.However, the reaction to seeing it for real is just as breathtaking as seeeing David! You'll see it soon. Regards,Mrs.F

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, No blog or e-mail tonight? A whole day has gone by without a note. Amazing how spoiled we've become. What's the latest gastronomical delight created at foods class last night? Of course, we're anxious for more yummy pictures, but next week we'll take some with you! Can't wait to see you! Love you,miss you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Phew! Remind me never again to get behind on my reading. there were so many snide comments i lost the chance to make...

i'm glad the Families are going out to see you guys! (and jealous!) that should be fun. Take care, Families; use Airborne since everyone seems to get sick the first few days. (i'm sick with yet another cold, i swear it's the dang CT air...i wasn't sick the whole time i was in CO.)

JCM, i'll write you detailed stuff when i get a chance. for now...i'll keep reading your lovely updates on food and architecture and all the other luxuries of italian life!

p.s. and i've got some good moves both from my Aikido class and my Personal Defense classes to show you when you get back, to exercise on those stupid catcallers.

Anonymous said...

p.p.s. it's February, i think, that's 2-7-08...

:)

Jess said...

Of course we can go to see the David! I was planning on maybe trying to make some reservations for all of us to the Academia and the Uffizi so that we don't have to wait in long lines, which are starting to form now that the tourist season is picking up.

The novel does sound like something I would like! I've never heard of it but it sounds great, thank you for thinking of me :)

Get well soon Louise! Sorry to hear that you are sick again but I'm glad you posted. Can't wait to hear from you again soon!

Anonymous said...

Go ahead and make the reservations for Ellie and I for both. I will pay you when I get there. I can't wait.

Love you both.

Mom