Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bill 2.28.08

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to update. Exams went really well. I don't remember the last time I felt so confident leaving an exam week. And being so well prepared made the week seem so much more relaxing. Nonetheless, it was pretty exhausting. After leaving the library tonight we decided to treat ourselves to dinner and sort of take the night off. So Jess has been reading and I decided to do something very very scary. I decided to try and write something. Ahhhh.

So I sat down and started a short story I'm very tentatively calling "Claudio's Story". We'll see how it comes out. Writing is hard! But yeah, I finished reading 'On Writing' by Stephen King which was an incredibly down to earth and simple writing guide that didn't spend hours telling me about adverbs. It was a great read (part writing manual, part very short and sweet memoir). I'm finally ready to admit it, I am a Stephen Kind fan. He's probably my favorite writer. Make fun of me all you want! haha.

But besides that, its been a nice relaxing evening. I guess writing and reading are better distractions from my research paper than video games and TV, right? But taking the night off after a week of exams seems reasonable (and anyway, I didn't really take it off since I researched for three hours at the library). Tomorrow I'm going to plow into the research phase and hopefully get some real writing done on Saturday.

So excited about Paris! It's going to be such an awesome week, and Jess has been working so hard and really wracking her brains about this whole thing. I'm really proud of and thankful for her, and I'm just really looking forward to having this wonderful experience with her. I know that its a city she's wanted to see her whole life, and I'm excited to be going there with her. She really is wonderful, and getting this whole thing planned (largely with me only as a means of moral support and constant masseuse) has been a real accomplishment. Can't wait to get to the city of lights with my baby!!
Love always,
Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you. Hope you got my long post about our trip home and how much we enjoyed our stay with you. One day without a message seems like an eternity. Will you be able to write from Paris? So glad your exams went well. I'm not suprised to hear that you did well. You've soaked in so much knowledge that there"s no way you couldn't kick ass! Do try to relax a few days and recover from exams- you deserve it. I agree with Jess that giving out assignments due right after break is just not right!Hope you can get a good head start so you can concentrate on enjoying Paris! So, Bill, "Claudio's Story"? Whatever will you write? Will you interview him or just fictionalize your story. Should be fascinating either way.You have always been a great writer. Glad you're going to give it a go. Well, write again as soon as you can, hopefully before you leave on Sunday and then again on Monday,and Tuesday and- well you get the idea. Love you. Enjoy your weekend. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,

Glad exams went well for you too. Stephen King is an excellent writer. He takes you there and scares the pants off you in the process. No he's not Hemingway, but I don't need to read the best written book in the world to be purely entertained. He has given me nightmares days on end while reading his novels.

Paris sounds great and you guys deserve some timeoff tonight and next week as well. You will both love Paris. I have heard that Paris is beautiful and Iknow you guys will love the antiquities and the art.

I llok forward to hearing from you guys before you leave again and then when you get back.

Love,

Momma Muirhead