Another field trip today. It was fantastic. I'm really soaking all this history in, and I'm so glad I switched into Marcello Bellini's class. It seems our little school is more prestigious than it might appear... Marcello is apparently the expert on the (in)famous Medici family. He wrote the book on the chapel of the Medici home and gave a eulogy/speech last year at the funeral of the last Medici. So I'm getting the cream of the crop when it comes to learning about Medici Renaissance history, its seems.
Anyway, we went to San Lorenzo, one of the oldest churches in the town (and the oldest cathedral, I believe), which apparently was the unofficial personal church of the Medici family. And you can see why, since their family and personal emblems appear five times on the ceiling alone, on all the doors, on the floor, above all of the hanging lights, in the sacristy, the library, the monastery, the door handles, the garden plants, the gates, the frescoes, and a huge stone one above the main entry door. Did I mention 49 members of the Medici family are buried in the church? Including Cosimo Vecchio (who brought them to power), directly below the altar inside the main support for the floor.
While being inundated with Medici emblems and symbols and knowledge, I started to think they are rather like the "Secret Mickeys" in Disneyworld. You turn around and go "Oh look! I found an emblem!" hidden inside of some door handle or inlaid wood in a chair. It's half exciting and half repulsive to find one, due to the utter gall and ostentatiousness of having your personal mark all over a holy place. I mean really, can you imagine someone doing that today?
So after that I resisted buying pretty Italian clothes and shoes from a nearby store and walked back to the school to spend some extra studio hours working on my painting. The glass is pretty much as done as I'm going to be able to get it and I think it looks pretty good, but the paper towel, surprisingly, is giving me a harder time. I can't seem to get the proportions right and the stupid little indents in it are driving me crazy. I think, though, that the third time will be the charm, and I've yet again outlined where the marks will go. It appears, right now at least, to be more accurate.
So to follow Bill I'll outline my classes as well, since our families are arriving in just a week in a half! I can't believe how fast this trip is going. Here's the wrap-up of my week:
Mondays and Wednesdays:
- Italy in the Renaissance: Medici Story, 1:00-2:30PM
- Italiano I: The Florence Experience, 5:30-6:30PM
- [Extra studio hours: 2:30-4:00PM when I need it]
- Gender Issues in Renaissance Art, 12:00-1:30PM
- Beginning Oil Painting, 2:00-5:00PM
- Italiano I: The Florence Experience 5:30-6:30PM
Well, that's it for now :) Can't wait for next week! Thank you all for your emails and comments!
2 comments:
Wow, Jess. Sounds like you had a really interesting field trip! You did, indeed, do well to get into Professor Bellini's class. So interesting to read about the things you are doing and seeing. Clearly, you are being taught by the best. What a great opportunity - and best of all it would seem you and Bill are taking advantage of it.
I smiled at the Mickey Mouse reference to the Medici emblems everywhere. Do you remember as a child always pointing them out to Mommy and me wherever we went in the Park? I had forgotten until reading your post. What a wonderful memory for me and what a great analogy to the Medici's.
Thanks for sharing your schedule, too. I've often sat at work and wondered what you might be doing at that moment. Now I can get a better idea, adding in the 6 hour time difference, of course. :-)
Sounds like your painting is really coming together. Can't wait to see the next installment in pictures. Have you taken many pictures while you're there? Hope so! One of your dorm and your room would be interesting...
Well, lunch break is over so must get back to work. Thanks again for posting. It makes me so glad to see a new one come up from you or Bill. Makes me feel closer to you.
Miss you and love you.
Dad
Dad said it all. Although I can't wait to see you.
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment