Thursday, February 14, 2008

Jess 2-14-08

Ciao! Buon Giorno di S. Valentino!

Long day today. We went again to the Uffizi with my art history class and examined the representation of Saints and Christian symbolisim in the Renaissance. It was pretty fascinating stuff, the paintings really take on a whole new light when you know what they are supposed to represent and even just a little bit about the iconography. It seems tourist season is just starting to leak into the city as there are many more tour groups around and the city seems much more alive... and crowded. I can't tell you many Italian middle and high school student groups there are milling about.

I worked a bit more on my painting during painting class today. Bill bought me some new small brushes with good bristles for Valentine's Day, and they make my life so much easier. Especially when I try to do the details. It sounds like so little, but for the whole three hours of class I mostly just worked on the thumb and getting the shading right. I plan to do a lot more of it tomorrow while Bill is away, maybe take the painting and set it up outside if the weather holds. You can really tell the difference between the thumb and the other fingers, which I didn't work on at all. I'm pretty proud of this one, although I'm sure in the future someday I will hate it. But for now I like it (gasp!) and I think I'll be able to pull a finished work together by the due date on Tuesday.

For Italian class we had to do this horrendous assignment where we go interview strangers in Italian. It was horrible, I got completely stressed out because I really don't like to be forced into awkwardly asking strangers random questions. So we went to a bar where we order gelato often and talked to him, which wasn't so bad. Still... ugh, I nearly threw a fit.

Families arrive in just two days! We're very excited and it will be lots of fun to show everyone around. In the meantime, Bill and I are taking dinner out tonight as a treat for il giorno di San Valentino. :)

Ciao!

Jessica

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going well for you with art classes. Mom and I already have the perfect spot picked out on the wall. :-)

Must have been tough to go out cold and interview someone. That was a good idea to speak to a bartender. They're good listeners and conversationalists - part of their job, right?

Mom and Ellie are going to be leaving for the City soon. I'll pick them up this evening and then maybe we'll head to our favorite Japanese restaurant for a late dinner. I'll have Ellie smuggle some leftover sushi to you and Bill. :-D

Hope you two have a wonderful St. Valentine's Day. Have a great time with your Momma and Baby Sister. Make sure you try to drop a note and some pictures so those of us left home get to share some of the visit, too. Love you both. Sooo much!!

Daddy

Anonymous said...

Dibs on the art!

Love,

Mom