Hello All!
Well, eventful day. I studied all morning for my test in Gender Issues, which was quite hard. The setup was to look at slides of paintings or sculptures that she chose in class and write essays comparing them and talking about the concepts we discussed in class that surround them. It was set up SAT-style, so you only had a limited amount of time to write your arguments before you moved on to the next question. My hand hurt by the end of it. It depends on how hard of a grader our teacher is, but I feel like I did pretty well. I feel like I know the material and I knew that she deliberately picked pieces that were generally the exceptions to the norm so that you couldn't just say "oh this is the typical depiction of Mary Magdalen" when it obviously wasn't.
Then I went to art class, where we had a small quiz. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to paint next even though technically we have already started, since apparently my tastes in painting aren't really colorful enough for this next project. So I'm trying to find a colorful painting that is both bright and I would like (typically this means it has people in it). If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate some ideas. I finally got my grades and comments back on my first two paintings: I got a 98 on my first painting (Cup and Paper Towel) with a few comments on improvements, and a 100 on my second with just the comment "Beautiful!" So I guess I did pretty good. I was rather pleased that my painting made it into her picture collection of student works. She always has pictures of the same projects to show next year's class what she's looking for, so it's a nice compliment to have both of my paintings make it in there so far.
It's nice to be able to get out of school before 6:30 now that we're on irregular schedules for school. It makes eating earlier and relaxing at the end of the day much easier.
Anyway, I hope you are all well! Ciao for now :)
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi, Babygirl! Thanks for the nice post. Good job on your midterms. It sounds like you did just fine. Hmm. I'm having trouble thinking of a nice colorful scene for you to paint. Don't you have a couple of nice pictures of sunsets on the Arno River that would be pretty colorful to paint? You could even insert people into them if you chose. Just a thought...
Congratulations on the grades for your first two oils! Wow Jess, that's really great. Any chance you can post a picture of your "final" Hand of David? Would love to see it. One thing though, your teacher is only taking a photo of your paintings, right? I mean, she's not *keeping* them is she? **GASP!** I'm pretty sure Mom's already got spots picked out for them in the house. :)
Anyhoo, thanks for the nice chat about your day, and congratulations again on the great job with your grades. I'm so proud of you, Punkin! Keep up the good work and write again soon.
Love you.
Daddy
Hi sweetie,
there is a picture Ellie took of a very colorful angel from a painting at the vatican. Would you like me to send it to you.
Congratulations to you on your midterm!! I am so proud of you.
Hi gorgeous! oh, and Jess, hi to you too. Hehe.
Jess, you said you have to copy a painting, right? or are you using a photograph? if it's a painting, personally i'm a fan of Diego Rivera, anything by Maxfield Parrish (i like Mountain Ecstasy), Heighton's Metropolitan Station, Cot's Springtime, Sorolla's Las Dos Hermanas for some bright fantastical scenes...if you're doing a photo, i'll see if i can find some of those instead. altho by now you probably know what you're doing :)
just got back from Colorado again, trying to catch up on school, whee! we find out next week where we're going for the summer, i can't wait. will be sure to let you know before i leave for spring break week after next (NYC with my Alaskan friend Shea, then on to Key West with three of the ladies). should be good, altho no, not as good as Italy :) the really dorky and wonderful thing is that this week, by coincidence, in Nautical Science class i'm doing a project where i have to chart an arrival into a harbor in Key West...hehe.
anyway, love you two, hope stuff is, you know, good and...stuff.
Post a Comment