Hello Everyone!
Everyone has arrived safely. Bill was in Rome until later at night but I went to pick up Mom, Ellie, Mr. and Mrs. Farley at the train station. Mom had tears in her eyes when I finally managed to find their arrival platform and we gave great big hugs all around. After that, we went to their hotels and I showed Mom and Ellie the coffee shop where the ridiculously attractive why-are-you-working-in-a-bar man works and they tasted their first Italian coffee! They both liked it but were wired for several hours from the caffeine. The Farleys have a really beautiful room that overlooks Piazza Michelangelo and the Arno almost on the outskirts of the city. Mom and Ellie's room is right in the center of town with an overview of the street and a church. They are really nice hotels, except for the miniscule bathroom, and the (as Mr. Farley calls it) "grotesque" chandelier in the Farley's hotel. We went to Piazza Michelangelo, which had some really fantastic views of the city, and across the Ponte Vecchio. Already I have started to point out to them the thousands of emblems across the city, most of them the Medici crest, who appear to be obsessed with making themselves known everywhere. We had some delicious green Tuscan soup and chatted in Mom's hotel to stay warm while we waited for Bill to get back from Rome. It was a warm welcome home, and we all went out for some dinner and crashed after that, returning to our beds with a very good night's sleep waiting for us.
Today we tried to go to the Uffizi but that didn't work out since the lines were painfully long. So instead we visited Bill's apartment to see pictures of his trip to Rome and some of my paintings in progress, and saw some weird processional parade with people all dressed up in bright Renaissance garb in Piazza Signoria. We saw some of the statues and after stopping in Bill's apartment for the grand tour we went to the Academia where Mom and Ellie saw the David for the first time! Mr. and Mrs. Farley had seen him before but not for a while, and he doesn't get any less exciting. We also stopped by an instrument museum that housed multiple Stadivarius-made instruments, including a cello and many violins. Of course the instruments had the Medici family symbol on them, since many of them were made specifically for the family's private quartet. Bill and I shared all of our combined knowledge on the artwork and the history of the paintings and sculptures in the museum. Although the Academia does a pretty good job of giving descriptions and explanations, I still think ours were better.
Currently I'm working on my painting, which is still incomplete, so that I can get it up to par by Tuesday. Unfortunately I have fallen somewhat ill at exactly the wrong time so I will try to get good rest tonight to keep up with my schoolwork. Anyway, best to all!
Always,
Jessica
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for posting, Jess. I've been checking regularly hoping to hear some news about your visit. I'm so glad everyone arrived safe and sound, and that everyone's accomodations are satisfactory. Glad Mom and Ellie liked the Italian coffee, but I'll bet adrenaline played as much a role as the caffeine in wiring them up. :-)
How wonderful that everyone got to see the David! I'm so pleased they had such knowledgable and friendly "tour guides" to make the visit even that much more special. I hope you all keep having such a wonderful time together. Give Mommy and Ellie big hugs for me, okay?
Miss you all so much! But Robby and I have been having a nice visit here in the City this weekend. Went to Chinatown to our favorite restaurant for dinner, then walked through the streets for a while and up into Little Italy (no relation - heh) for cappuccino and pastry before heading back to an evening of DVD's and popcorn. Did some shopping mid-town and walked around Times Square this afternoon then down to the Seaport for dinner. We'll be heading off to Penn Station in a while to get Rob back home again. We've had a really fun time together.
Thanks again for writing, Jess. Good luck with your painting. I'm so glad you have the chance to show Mom and Ellie some of the wonderful sites and experiences you've been enjoying. Say hi to everybody, and write again soon if you can.
Love you Babygirl!
Daddy
I just finished writing a long response but somehow I lost it. I'll try again.
Well you study abroad sounds like it is going fantastic. I am so impressed with your artwork. The glass is so detailed and Michaelagelo's hand is phenominal!
Bill is doing a great job "looking" after you and everything. Bringing you lunch during your class is well above the bar. Good job Bill!!!
I'm glad everyone arrived and you are enjoying the company. It will be quiet when everyone leaves both a good thing and a sad thing. Family is all so dear to us.
I've recognized some of the places in your photo but your photo are simply wonderful. Italy has brought out the artist in you. Why did you keep it hidden so long?
Well I'm going to go now - I'll check it again. It is nice to get caught up on what you've been doing. I really enjoy reading your blogs.
Take care and be safe!
Love, aunt Denise
Hi Jess and Bill! Oh boy, JCM, do i have a lot to tell you, but life is also chaos as always so i will get around to it eventually i guess. and i know you are very busy showing the families around! that's so wonderful that the families are there visiting, it must be fantastic. i am extremely jealous! my roommate watched A Room with a View this morning (while i wrote a paper...grrr) but somehow it wasn't the same.
well, just wanted to check in and say hi and i love you and your pictures are fun! i just read Dante last semester so that was my fave part, seeing the depictions of Hell etc. mmm, demon-licious.
i'm going to Colorado, back to USAFA, for a few days, leaving tomorrow at 0300 so i better go start packing. i love you!
Post a Comment