Ciao, Buona Sera, etc etc from Firenze!
Apologies for not posting until now. I've been writing long emails instead. Honestly, if I post here it will probably take the place of my long emails as this is a nicer way to keep everything focused. You can reply via email (I will check regularly) or you can reply here on the blog, wahtever floats your boat. But, here we are. I won't bore you by rewriting everything that Jess has so eloquently stated previously. So far the trip has been great, albeit uneventful. We haven't been able to travel yet (but neither has anyone else). We've been spending the majority of our time wandering the city, window shopping, visiting the local sites, and - of course - cooking/eating.
Classes are great! Really, I do love them. History and Culture of Food is just as good as Mike suggested, Roman Empire is interesting yet challenging and the Ethnography (Contemporary Italy) offers entirely different challenges. So far we have covered only theory (learning about Durkheim, Weber, Boaz and Mauss for the 100th time). His English is rough, at best, yet he seems to try and practice very challenging verbage and lecture styles on us - sometimes leaving us at the roadside somewhere along the way. Very nice guy though, and the class will offer unique opportunities to see the town and meet locals, as well as forcing me to do ethnographic research with 'natives', aka locals. This will do wonders for my language skills and my confidence, both of which need plenty of work.
So far, Jess has been sick almost the entire trip. Bad luck, but at least she's getting it out of the way now. The jet lag and culture shock took longer to wear off then we expected and it left us both run down and highly susceptible to the flu that has been ravaging the faculty, and apparently most of Italy for the past month. But, I think we are finally beating it back (thank God), and are ready to enjoy some good health. The weather has been a bit monotonous - gray, cloudy, with the nearly constant threat of downpour. I sound like I'm complaining, but in fact I am only observing. This is an amazing opportunity and a great time and we are having wonderful fun and really enjoying getting accustomed to the country.
Of course, I also miss home. Homesickness finds its way into your psyche in the weirdest ways. Eating a bowl of Special K, walking along a particularly busy (with cars) street or the smell of some cooking that is devoid of olive oil (this is extremely rare).
Whoever claims we are here 'on vacation' is full of it, haha. Classes are tough and I'll have about 40 pages of paper to do this semester (that's not that much, but its also not nothing). However, these papers seem really really interesting and I'm really excited to write them.
Ok, ok I'm starting to blab. I'll get going now. We're making a chicken soup tonight which should prove fun and delicious.
Miss you all and love you,
Bill
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey, Bill! Thanks for adding your post today. It sounds like the two of you are having just a swell time learning and experiencing a life-expanding opportunity. I'm so glad for the both of you.
"Culture of Food"... Heh. More food! I hope you're taking really good notes, because I am hoping for you both to pass along some of your learning when you return, both in conversation and on the plate :-) By the way, chicken soup is an excellent idea for tonight - steamy, hot homemade penicillin. It's good for what ails you.
Too bad the weather has been so soggy. I'm getting the idea that perhaps that's Florence in wintertime. Still better than the freezing cold and snow showers we're getting in NYC today. Good luck with your classes and keep up the interesting posts. We really are enjoying them here. (Pictures would be nice, too!)
Have fun. Mom and I are really proud of you kids!
Hi Bill,
Ok. I thought that was Bill's Dad I was reading from when I got to the NYC part I realized it was from the Muirhead side...
Anyway, it is great to hear from you and you don't sound negative at all. You and Jess are painting a colorful and rich picture of your lives in Italy. The whole picture...good and bad. Just because it is freezing here doesn't mean negative it just means freezing, paints a truer picture than if I said it was sunny here which it is (but it is north pole freezing as well).
It is great to hear about your details as well. Hope the soup is working for you both. I also hope that your helping out Jess didn't end up costing you your health. You really are such a good person for taking care of her. To be sick far away from home is hard, thank you for being there for her. I a looking forward to seeing some of your pictures, so when you guys get a free moment, post one or two. I know that it is a busy time so don't worry if you don't get to it. Just know that we will enjoy when it happens.
Much love,
Jess's Mom Muirhead
I thought I was reading Bill's Dad too! Then I remembered that I had not written anything yet, imagine my surprise? Food, Food, food, is that what Italy is about? Oh yeah, I've been to Italy, great food! I have'nt heard of you being sick, are you not telling or just lucky? I feel that I must also comment on our weather, did anyone mention that it is cold here? Are the "40" pages equivalent to 40 days and 40 nights? I mean have you come up with a new lenten sacrifice or is that number significant in some other way? We are working on the "Blue and Gold" dinner. I have found out that all of my ideas are so old that everyone thinks they are new. They think I am being creative, I am merely recycling. When are we going to see more pictures? The words are nice but, a picture is worth... you know. I am off to dinner now, not homemade chicken soup but, delicious frozen chicken pot pie from Stop and Shop. Jealous, are'nt you. Remember, keep those cards and letters...
Ah, jeez! I didn't realize I was going to be causing such confusion. The problem is "Hey, Stupid!" is already in use here in the City esp. when I wear my very stylish ball cap with the Big Red "B" on the front, and "Hey, Dummy" is reserved just for the immediate family. Hmmm. Maybe I'll just keep using "Dad" to make sure everyone's on their toes. :-D
I agree with the "better-looking Dad", pictures would be nice -- but only when you get the chance. We know you are both busy.
Have fun. We miss you and love you!
Dad (Heh.)
Post a Comment