Monday, January 21, 2008

Jess 1-21-08

Ciao, ciao.

I am feeling much better and I feel as though I am finally over my stomach flu. My appetite has definitely come back and I can feel hungry without also feeling afraid of the possible consequences of eating. Bill and I opted for a small dinner out at a local "bar" instead of pasta with butter, which I feel was a wise choice. The service was great, which I suppose isn't suprising considering we were the only customers. We tasted our first "cafelatte" which was really delicious even without sugar in it. The workers must have known we were on a date since they swirled the foam on the top of the coffee into cute little white hearts. We also went to the famous market near the giant boar statue and I bought a pretty gold pashmina to keep my neck warm in this chilly, gray weather; or perhaps to cover my hair from the rain when it inevitably will downpour next. I must say it looks very European with my red sweater and loopy red earrings. :) I like it. In general I suppose I do like the freedom to be able to dress up in crazy combinations of outfits and not feel out of place or overdressed. At first I felt sort of silly with my pashmina/scarf (sciarpe) on, like a wacky high school Theater director with frizzy hair. But since everyone wears them here, I look more like an Italian than a whimscal thespian. Most people, unless I'm speaking English to Bill, assume we are Italian and dart off rapid sentences before we can ask them to slow down.

I finally made it over to the Banca Toscana to pick up my money (280 Euro total, or $405) for food today. I have to say I can't wait to get home and tuck the wad away in a safe place. Especially with all the con artists and gypsies around I've been clutching my purse to my chest and darting my eyes around in paranoia... particularly since I am currently also carrying Bill's 280 Euro food money (so... $810), as he did not feel comfortable stuffing that much into a highly pickpocketable money clip. I'll be running it all home right after this. Soon I finally will go and buy my beautiful, expensive art supplies so that I can start my first art project tomorrow! Exciting :)

Well, that's all for now. Arrivederci :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Babygirl,

You have always had the European artistic flare to your style. I am glad you finally found a place where you blend in. Although, I have no doubt upon your return home you will continue with your own unique style heavily influenced by your time in Italy. That's what makes you Jess...sophisticated beauty that is not a copy of everyone else.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

That's my Babygirl. Just like your momma, you can take a $10.00 pashmina and turn it into real style! :-) I loved the wacky thespian comment. Painted quite a picture in my head. That made me chuckle out loud.

Good luck with your painting class tomorrow, Jessa-baby. I can't wait to see the results!

I know we all keep saying this, but I'll say it again anyway. Thanks so much for your daily thoughts on the day's experiences. It helps so much to stay close to you and keep me from missing my Babygirl too much. I'm so, so glad you have this chance to see another land and experience it's culture, esp. one as old and rich as Italy's. Thank you for sharing with all of us!

I love you Jessa-Baby...

Daddy

Jess said...

Thanks Mom and Dad... I love you :) You're the best