Saturday, January 19, 2008

Jess 1-19-07


Ciao Everyone!

Well, I didn't end up making it to Chianti because Thursday after all of my classes that required a lot of walking (and running) around I ended up getting sick again. I figured walking around a castle and vineyards all day might have the same effect so I stayed in and slept. Luckily I called the school and they seemed to suggest that I might be able to go next week with the other group. So all is not lost :)

Due to some unfortunate chain of events, I have not yet been to one of my classes, but I did get a chance to go to my other classes for the first time on Thursday. The painting workshop bottega is beautiful, apparently we are the first students to ever use it, which is somewhat nerve wracking since the brand new tile floor is totally paintless and I'd hate to be the first to ruin it. I have to go pick up my art supplies but using some communal paint and paintbrushes I made my VERY FIRST PAINTING (sort of)! It wasn't much, just a monochromatic scale from white to black and a "3D" ball. But no worries, Mom and Dad, I saved it anyway so you can keep my very first, very crappy, painting.

I had a really great time in my Art History course on gender issues. We went to the Uffizi and though I didn't take notes I remember almost everything my teacher said. She's completely fascinating. I saw the Venus, and the Primavera, and all sorts of old adornments from churches and private collections. Since there aren't any plaques to read in the Uffizi, it's so much more interesting to have her explain things to us. I can't wait until I can show some of you what I've learned about the paintings when or if you get here. I'm sure I'll blabber on more about it in my blog later as I learn. Apparently, for example, the Birth of Venus is supposed to represent celestial and pure, not primal or earthly love, so in a way she is actually Christianized, although she is a Roman goddess. Apparently you can tell by the way she holds herself modestly. I'm sure there's more to it but that's the simple version. We'll discuss what we saw more on Monday. Anyway it was really cool.

Though my painting class is really fun it's also very expensive. And I wonder whether or not I would like to drop one of my painting classes for more history classes... it's just so very awesome to stand in front of the history that you learn, and I feel it might be a good investment. I'm not sure... I need to think about it a little more.

Today Bill and I yet again wandered around the town together and picked up some supplies at the very convenient 99 cent store. We made the dinner we learned from cooking class last night and to our surprise it came out great! Instead of the pot roast we roasted chicken breast in the oven with the potatoes and it was so moist and tender, I was so proud of us. Everything else came out exactly like it was supposed to. And for my art class we found a cheap €2.50 for a shirt (nice shirts, too!) store somewhere on via Corso so that I have something to paint in and not worry about my clothes. Bill bought a few scarves for €5, since it is still cool, though not cold, here and they help a bunch. I have been wearing all three of my scarves (the red, the multicolor, and the white) all the time to help and I must say it helps a lot. The weather has improved the past few days so it was nice to have some sunshine, but wow are the streets so much more full on weekends! So many tourists! Funny that I can consider other people tourists but not myself already.

My Italian is improving steadily. Bill and I try to speak it to one another as much as possible to help each other out. Sometimes I have to resort to broken Italian like "Posso... internet?" Meaning "Can I... internet?"since I don't know the word for "to use". But the point gets across and I don't have to use English and neither do they. I think the Italians appreciate it.

We have taken pictures of all the meals we are making so that we can send some home. I think tonight I will try to make french toast with some left over stale bread stuffed with some cream cheese or marscapone, whichever I can find, and sugared sauteed apples. I made something similar for breakfast the other day and it was really good. I think I will gain back that weight I lost while sick soon. :) Fresh food is so cheap here, mostly because it arrives on the back of a pickup truck from a few miles away. My roommates got a kilo carton of tangerines for €2 the other day. We're becoming thriftier as time goes on, finding the real deals of the city... although some of those €200 jackets and dresses and €60 shoes are so very tempting sometimes. You can't escape it, it's everywhere.

Anyway, I should go since this is at a paid internet point. I will try to update again sometime next week. Thank you all so much for your comments, it is good to see that you are thinking of Bill and I at home. I really miss it sometimes (especially today, when I had a bowl of Special K with strawberries and it really reminded me of home). I miss you all so much, I hope you are well. Hopefully next week I will have some time to respond more.

Arrivederci!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Babygirl! Thanks for another interesting post. It sounds like your classes are all so very interesting. Don't worry about the cost of your painting classes. If need be Mom and I can help out. I guess what we're saying is, make your decision based on what you WANT to do, and don't worry about the money.

Mom is here in NYC with me this weekend to enjoy a fun weekend, so that's really special. We're getting ready to head out to Mid-town then maybe Little Italy or Chinatown for dinner. (Betcha the food isn't as good as you and Bill are making! ;-) )

Hope you keep having a wonderful time. Thanks again for the wonderful emails and blog posts. Tell Mr. Bill we said hi. We like hearing about what he's doing, too.

Take care, Sweetums! We love you both.

Daddy and Mommy

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you have some sort of Italian translation book, but just for reference, the verb "to use" is usare. I myself don't know the word for internet, but you would say, "Posso usare internet?"

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Florence is a beautiful city, as is the rest of Italy. Enjoy every moment.

Jess said...

Sounds like a very relaxing weekend, Mom and Dad. I hope you are enjoying the city :) I must tell you it's hard to get used to planning my food so very far ahead since the markets close up so early and generally aren't open on the weekend. Bill says that he will post in here soon so you all can know what he's up to too. :)

E grazie mille, Mr./Ms. Anonymous! I will have to write that down so that I remember to use "usare." I thought it was something like that but I couldn't remember exactly what the verb was.